Michal Gutwald, the defenseman of the Czech team, shared his impressions about the Universiade and his stay in Kazakhstan.
“It was an amazing tournament. The organizers and the volunteers did everything for us to feel good. To be honest, when we saw the Halyk Arena, we were impressed. Everything is new there: the arena, the changing rooms. And what is most important, people are kind and open,” said Gutwald.
- What can you say about the Kazakhstani fans?
- Playing in Almaty has been a pleasure. The stands were always full. We were surprised that the spectators support all the teams at first. Then we understood how amazing it was!
- Did you have a chance to visit Almaty’s attractions?
- Just a small bit. We have visited Shymbulak but the weather was bad. Anyway, it was beautiful there. Most of the time in Almaty, we played hockey.
- Let’s talk about hockey. Your team took the fourth place. Are you glad with the result?
- We wanted to do better but the Canadians took the bronze. At the Universiade, we had amazing games. For instance, the one against Slovakia, which we won in penalty shots. It was so emotional! The loss in a game against Kazakhstan (0:8) will also be remembered.
- How do you feel leaving the Universiade?
- I think we will miss the Halyk Arena, the tournament and the people. I may come back to Kazakhstan one day!